January 20, 2018
2018 Call for Nominations
From Family Business Magazine, Private Company Director Magazine and Directors & Boards
2018 Call for Nominations
Deadline for entries: March 15, 2018
Nominate your board, or a board you admire.
Nominations are now open for the 2018 Private Boards of the Year award, dedicated to honoring private company boards who best serve their stakeholders—owners, shareholders, employees and community. These boards will exhibit best practices in their structure, practices and performance.
The award is open to the fiduciary or advisory boards of private companies of all sizes and ownership structures. Size of the company, or indeed, of the board, doesn’t matter.
Diesco - Advisory Board
Samaritan Medical Center - Revenues under $100 million
W.S. Darley & Co. - Revenues between $100-$350 million
Bush Brothers and Company - Revenues between $350 million-$1 billion
Blue Diamond Growers - Revenues above $1 billion
See what made these boards excellent.
2017 awardee Manuel Vicente Diaz Cabral, CEO and Chairman, Diseco Ltd. with Robert H. Rock, Publisher, Directors & Boards Magazine
Among the criteria for nomination that may be used:
- The board’s involvement in a significant business turnaround
- The board’s ability to identify and resolve a business crisis
- The board’s development and execution of a successful CEO succession plan
- The board’s commitment to continuing excellence through training and board evaluations
- The board’s evolution to mostly or fully independent members
- The board’s adherence to the highest governance standards, beyond what’s required by law
There are many other areas where a board may excel, and these are just some of the criteria we’ll use. We’re looking for boards which exhibit best practices as a group.
The nomination process is simple. Nominations may be made by anyone with knowledge of the board—board members, company executives, company owners and shareholders, advisors to the board, or other colleagues.
Nomination deadline: March 15, 2018
All nominations will be vetted by the editorial teams of Private Company Director, Family Business Magazine and Directors & Boards with brief phone interviews. Finalists will be selected and submitted to a panel of key private company board members and governance experts, who will make the final decision.
Benefits to Participation
- The full board will be recognized at an awards presentation at the National Press Club during the Private Company Governance Summit 2018, May 16-18 in Washington, D.C. Representatives of the honored boards (up to three) will receive free registrations to the conference.
- The board will be profiled in the next issue of Private Company Director Magazine.
- The board will receive a trophy for display in the boardroom.